What does Third Party Only Insurance cover?
Third Party (TP) only cover is the lowest form of car insurance available to Irish motorists. It is the legal minimum level of cover that any driver must have before getting behind the wheel. TP cover pays out for claims made by other drivers resulting from:
– Injuries sustained by third parties caused by negligent driving of the insured or a named driver on the insured’s policy
– Damage to the property of a third party arising from negligent driving of the insured or a named driver on the insured’s policy
– A car accident caused by the insured or the named driver against a third party
While this type of cover only provides basic cover, premiums usually reflect this and TP only cover is often available at the lowest rates. But people should only consider TP only cover if they are driving a very low value vehicle as this form of cover does not provide cover for situations such as:
– Damage accidentally caused by the insured or a named driver
– Theft of the insured’s vehicle
– Loss or damage to objects left in the vehicle
If you have a high value vehicle, we suggest considering better cover such as Third Party, Fire and Theft (TPFT) or Comprehensive Car Insurance – both of which provide cover for the above mentioned situations albeit at a slightly higher cost.